Every month, AppData releases a list of the top-grossing apps for the iPad, and once again
comics apps lead the pack for the book category. Predictably, comiXology is at the top, but it’s followed closely by DC, Marvel, and The Walking Dead. The chart represents purchases made THROUGH an app, not sales of an app itself — all of the above are free to download the app.
Tuesday November 22, 2011
1. Comics Comics
2. DC Comics DC Comics
3. Marvel Comics Marvel Comics
4. Peek-a-Zoo – by Duck Duck Moose Peek-a-Zoo – by Duck Duck Moose
5. Jesus Calling by Sarah Young Jesus Calling by Sarah Young
6. Princess Dress-Up: My Sticker Book Princess Dress-Up: My Sticker Book
7. Bible+ Bible+
8. The Walking Dead The Walking Dead
9. Cars 2 World Grand Prix Read and Race Cars 2 World Grand Prix Read and Race
10. NIV Bible NIV Bible
In addition to the widely heralded fact that comiXology is consistently the top grossing app OVERALL every Wednesday, it also fares pretty well on the general chart, coming in at #38 behind such things as Pages, Easter Bunny Oversleepm and the unstoppable force that is Pet Tap Hotel.
It’s not entirely clear how AppData goes about compiling this data — it’s not like Apple hands out numbers all over the place. There is more info in the form of rather stark charts at the app page for comiXology and all the other apps in the chart but we’re not sure what they are saying.
However real this metric is, it does back up the fact that there’s a pretty good audience of people who like to read comics on tablets — no wonder Amazon and B&N were eager to have comics apps front and center on the new Kindle Fire and Nook.