Specifically…a Senior Vice President, Sales & Business Development. Despite what it sounds like, the position doesn’t seem to be replacing EVP of Sales, Marketing and Business Development John Rood or SVP Sales Bob Wayne and is a new position. It is, however located on the West Coast, and would seem to duplicate a lot of duties currently held by East Coast personnel, and could reflect the recent restructuring. So…a sidekick for John Rood?
If you have what it takes, here’s the job description:
Senior Vice President, Sales & Business Development
DC Entertainment – Burbank, CA
SUMMARY OF POSITION
E.C. Publications, Inc. seeks a Senior Vice President, Sales & Business Development for the Sales & Business Development department. Position will oversee sales strategy, distribution, and business development for the DCE publishing brands (DC Comics, Vertigo, MAD). Organize a Sales Team and manage them to clear and measurable priorities. Analyze reporting data to develop strategies that feed overall business planning and decision making, in partnership with several departments.
• Develop strategy for expanding worldwide consumer reach of DC Publishing content and Collectibles merchandise across DCE’s imprints—DC Comics, Vertigo, MAD—that includes both Physical (comic shop specialty market, book sellers, mass) & Digital distribution platform channels.
• Coordinate the strategy with co-publishers and executive team, as well as colleagues in other DCE departments.
• Develop business plans and operating models that achieve key strategic objectives of expanded distribution translating into sales & margin growth.
• Explore and evaluate feasibility of developing new business models aimed at exploiting newly created & library content that may include new product formatting, subscriptions, windowing, variable pricing by channel, customer loyalty programs, co-op marketing, etc.
• Maintain comprehensive understanding of strengths/challenges facing Physical & Digital distribution partners in the Publishing marketplace.
• Develop and maintain strong relationships with partners that include top digital brands, publishing brands, physical distribution partners, retailers big and small, and several Warner Bros. divisions.
• Engage in ongoing performance evaluation of channel partners that may involve developing plans to expand, consolidate or replace relationships.
• Create sales analytical models to evaluate performance. For each forecast cycle, develop unit sales forecasting models that consider product format, release schedule & windowing, pricing assumptions, issue erosion rates by channel and backlist sales assumptions.
• Build collaborative organization with strong capabilities in Business Planning, Account Relationship Management, and Sales Analytics / Forecasting.
• Attract, develop, and lead Sales & Business Development organization that raises individual and collective performance through goal setting, annual planning, profitability tracking, and sales reporting.
• 4 yr college degree required. Emphasis in Business preferred. MBA preferred.
• Minimum of 10 years Sales experience required.
• General Management experience/interest required.
• Experience leading high-performing teams – developing and motivating superior talent.
• Sales Analytics and Financial experience required.
• Publishing or other Consumer Package Goods experience required.
• Mass retailer experience strongly preferred.
• Entertainment experience strongly preferred.
• E-commerce & Digital experience strongly preferred.
• International business development experience strongly preferred.
• Strong executive presence required.
• Must have proven success meeting and exceeding aggressive sales goals.
• Must possess excellent communication skills – both written and verbal.
• Ability to pitch to senior internal and external decision makers.
• Must have extensive relationships with distribution partners.
• Must be able to maintain project confidentiality.
• Proven track-record of managing own workflow to meet tight deadlines while handling high volume of work with a great attention to detail-specific information.
• Knowledge of publishing and comics industries required.
• Knowledge of toys and collectible merchandise business preferred.
• Ability to travel approximately 33%.
• Flexibility to respond to off-hours business needs.