I think, given the events of tonight’s show, I have finally found a way to encapsulate the Benjamin Linus vs. Charles Widmore struggle.
More after the jump.
Here’s my big question for the night: Did Ben plan to kill Locke all along? Or did he change his mind after learning about Jin being alive and/or Locke knowing about Eloise Hawking? I’m in the camp that thinks the latter. With Locke working with Widmore and knowing about Faraday’s mother, he became a dangerous loose end that was probably best eliminated. And his death, as it turns out, was what needed to bring everyone back together and get back to the island.
And then, there’s Ben vs. Widmore. People have been speculating tonight whether it shows that Widmore really is a good guy and Ben is the bad guy. I think they are both bad guys, just bad guys with different motives. Hence, the Dr. Doom vs the Red Skull analogy. Some view Doom as a “noble villain,” not really someone who should be lumped in with someone like the Red Skull. So, which is which? Well, Widmore sent a team of mercenaries to the island to kill Ben. Of course, Ben and the Others wiped out (presumably) all the Dharma Initiative folks, including his own father. This is a “to be continued” situation.
Tonight’s episode also illustrated just why I am one of the people who actively dislike Kate and Jack. Jack still “doesn’t get it” and Kate really is a See You Next Tuesday. I think Sayid and Hurley can be cut some slack about not trusting Locke, given all that had happened to them since returning from the island. And how much weird stuff does Jack need to have happen before he starts believing in “destiny” and things like that? Are we supposed to think that he is now a believer, after the stuff with the shoes last week? It was funny to see the beginnings of Jack’s “Joaquin Phoenix” beard.
* What a shame. We finally get the return of Mr. Abbadon and he’s gone already. Certainly more than just a driver.
* So, did Helen really have a brain aneurysm? Or was she conveniently bumped off by either Abbadon or Ben?
* I guess Hurley needs someone around all the time to validate the life status of his visitors.
* You’d think Widmore could find a better hotel for Locke. There has to be a happy medium between the Four Seasons and that place Locke was stayed when he tried to kill himself.
* Even Abbadon knows how tall Walt has gotten.
Next week – Who is the girl with the burlap sack? Kate? Charlotte? Someone else?