With THE BOTTOMLESS BELLY BUTTON a 720-page graphic novel coming out later this year (from Fantagraphics), stories in MOME and Marvel Comics, and the online serialization of his new comic Body World busting across the blogosphere this week, Dash Shaw is set to break out big time in 2008. Mixing themes of botany and anatomy — plant and animal — with a visual approach that uses diagrams, call-outs, text and other non-comics elements, his work looks like nothing else you’ve seen. His stories are rich, complex explorations of family dynamics, and misguided relationships. His characters can sometimes barely communicate verbally; Shaw uses his elegant symbolism to connect their dots for them.
Over on his blog, he gives us the BodyWorld faq:
* New pages uploaded on the BodyWorld site every Tuesday starting January 1st.
* A romance about bodymind telepathy.
* Will have detailed explanations of how this telepathy works.
* In book form it will be 360 pages. 12 chapters.
* Looks like a weird Bruce Timm cartoon.
* I am having a blast drawing this comic.