While we ourselves didn’t have time to link, much less peruse its contents, the entirety of the epoch-defining 30tth issue of The Comics Journal was online for free yesterday. But then someone pulled the plug, Dirk Deppey recounts:
Yeah, I’m afraid that on Gary Groth’s instructions the experiment in online marketing has been cancelled. Sorry.
The line-up of contents remains as stunning as before:
• Art Spiegelman and Kevin Huizenga
• Jean-Christophe Menu and Sammy Harkham
• Frank Quitely and Dave Gibbons
• Dave Mazzucchelli and Dash Shaw
• Alison Bechdel and Danica Novgorodoff
• Howard Chaykin and Ho Che Anderson
• Denny O’Neil and Matt Fraction
• Jaime Hernandez and Zak Sally
• Ted Rall and Matt Bors
• Jim Borgman and Keith Knight
• Stan Sakai and Chris Schweizer
And we’ll read it when our hard copy arrives, just like always. Johanna Draper Carlson has commentary.
On another matter, late last night a story on Variety.com was making the rounds stating that the Warriors Three had been cast for the Thor movie. But it seems whoever wrote the story had gotten his ’60s Marvel characters mixed up, since — not trying to sound racist or anything — but casting a slender Asian man as Volstagg the Voluminous didn’t make much sense. Anyway, Marvel.com has the final lineup:
Fandral will be played by Stuart Townsend. The job of Hogun goes to Tadanobu Asano. And Volstagg will be portrayed Ray Stevenson.
That’s more like it.