Free Comic Book Day is Saturday, May 7th, 2011! And there are very likely some comics-related festivities happening in your area, or at the very least. some free comic books.
There are way too many happenings to cover here. Diamond has a master list of events, including interviews by Darwyn Cooke and Humberto Ramos and the FCBD site has a monster list of signings organized alphabetically by state!
However, a few highlights to get you going.
First off, our buddies at Maphook have a nice promotion. Not only does everyone who creates a hook about their FCBD experience have a chance to win a cool prize, but Maphook will donate $1 to the Hero Initiative for every FCBD related hook. If a pro or a shop creates one, they’ll donate $5. Do go download that app and get hooking now.
Here’s a selected spin around the country for what else is going on on the national comic book holiday:
• In addition to giveaways, Floating World Comics is having a sale on dollar comics all the livelong day.
• Midtown Comics will have freebies you can’t get anywhere else, they have a unique version of the Free Comic Book Day Green Lantern Special Edition comic book, from DC Comics, with the Midtown Comics logo emblazoned on the cover!
• Collector’s Paradise is having a field day including the “Sketches for HERO Initiative” fundraiser, the presence of a famous Korean / Latin fusion Food Truck, and a killer lineup of artists doing signings: Whilce Portacio, Joshua Fialkov, Tomm Coker, Tone Rodriguez, Tony Fleecs, Chris Moreno, and Ray Friesen.
• Bill Galvan, Archie Comics writer and illustrator, will be autographing comic books at Night Flight Comics from 2:30-6:00.
• Image has released a list of creators appearing and signing at FCBD, including Robert Kirkman.
• Graphic.ly is celebrating FBCD digitally with free downloads and sweepstakes, including the ultimate grand prize of an iPad 2 or an Android Tablet!
BOOM! Studios is releasing Elric: The Balance Lost and the Darkwing Duck #1 / Chip ‘N’ Dale Rescue Rangers #1 flip book! along with $1 BOOM! Blasts!
• Keene Public Library is having a 24 Hour Comic Challenge for the occasion, starting at 11am.
• And FCBD even has a new hit song, “First Saturday in May at Flying Colors” by Cyrus and Isaiah Rajeski. This is an ode to Free Comic Book Day, shot in Flying Colors in Concord CA.
Get thee to a Comic Book Shoppe and read some comics!